Jason

Jason
Innovate your life!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Eureka!

I figured out a solution to a big dilemna John and I have.

That issue is, that we produce more milk than can be purchased, currently.  With the number of milk producers in the barn, presently, and after the milk is fed to the babies, the excess "liquid gold" (milk) is often thrown out!  It's a shame and it's obviously not something we want to do, but have had to since the goat's births have not directly coincided with the production of the products that are currently made from the milk. 

So... while dumping a five gallon jug into the pig pen, an idea came to me.  I have had success this past year making whitewash paint from the milk.  (You may see this is Season 2. )  I'd also heard of milk glue before too.  These are non edible products from milk.  And people are obviously also able to create solid things from milk as well, like 2 pound wheels of edible cheese.    Therefore, I believed there must be a way to make non-edible objects from the milk too.

I started researching and I found the answer I was looking for.  It was possible to make durable, lasting objects cast from molds for the milk. 

But what should I make?  Hmmm...  Sculptures!

It looks like I'm actually going to be able to cast solid relief sculptures out of goat's milk!

Sounds a bit weird doesn't it?  I thought so too, but I was determined and have since been experimenting.  And I've found that it's true.  Objects can be cast from goat's milk. 

Now, I have more research and experimentation to do.  The recipe I'd found was not complete, so I'm filling in the holes myself, but it's VERY promising. 

So, soon, it looks like I'll be making some relief sculptures for our store from this!  (Which we've been wanting to add to our store inventory now anyway.) 

And anyway, we can't let that milk go to waste.  We owe it to the "Girls".  :)

So, keep your fingers crossed for me and I'll, as always, keep you posted. 

Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Milk is also great for the pastures.Adds more nutrients and faster growing. Won't smell either. Can't wait for your goat sculptures, milk or otherwise...UR so clever...

    ReplyDelete
  2. that would be great if you could use the leftover milk. I hate waste, myself. Good luck and let us know how it works out.


    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use extra milk (not often enough) for a VERY WELL DESERVED Spa night , with one quart of milk in my jetted tub, but DON"T turn on the jets or you will be a frothing mess.

    ReplyDelete